Friday, November 5, 2010

Oh the Weather Outside is Weather


So I went running this evening (that's me in the picture), and I noticed the temperature has taken a bit of a nose dive. It isn't terrible yet, but in a few months I'm sure it will be much worse.

Now that I've stated the obvious, let me get to the point. Obviously training for this race is a huge commitment, and saying "Oh it's too cold to run," or "The snow is up to my waste," or "I am frozen to the floor and can't move" are not really options. So I was hoping we could get a dialogue going about how to keep working out in the winter months. I'm considering starting a gym membership, but I much prefer the cheaper, and more enjoyable outdoor running trails. Obviously dressing in layers could help, although my purple running shorts and shirtless approach has really helped me with the ladies. Then there is the problem of overdressing. Once I got going today, I was perfectly fine. It could be hard to draw the line as the weather fluctuates.

I'm new to this whole running thing. It wasn't until last May that I actually took it seriously, and even then I was just trying to get in shape, as opposed to going for distance. In any case, I've never attempted to run during the winter season, so any suggestions for keeping me motivated are definitely welcome. Right now, I find running very tranquil and relaxing. I'd like it to stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment